Monday, June 28, 2010

Fun but full weekend!

This weekend flew by, but it was definitely filled with lots of activity.  On Saturday my roommate Amy, and two other classmates took a bus to Bernal, which is a town about 1 hour outside of Querétaro.  In Bernal you can see the 3rd largest monolith in the world.  It was huge, but we only climbed up so far until we got to the fence that keeps you from climbing higher.  If you are into mountain climbing it would be an awesome thing to climb.  Then we walked around the town and checked out the crafts that are sold.  We had some gorditas for lunch.  They are not like Taco Bell by the way.  It is more or less a pita made of tortilla (corn) and filled with different ingredients.  After lunch we got some fresh bread filled with cheese...DELICIOUS!!!!!  We took the bus home at about 3 and got home by 4:30.  Then Amy and I spend the rest of the day napping, because we were WORN out from walking and hiking in the sun.

On Sunday our host family invited us to a water park outside of San Miguel de Allende, which is about 30/45 minutes from the city.  It was nice to get to ride in a car, a luxury that we don't often get here.  Usually we ride the bus or take taxis.  Unfortunately my host mom's boyfriend drives like a maniac.  I think he probably would have gotten at least 7-8 tickets if he were driving in the US.  He passed people in no passing zones with cars coming very close to hitting him, drove at excessive speeds and ignored all kinds of signs.  It was crazy.  Well, besides that it was a great day.  They let you bring in food and drinks so we had ham sandwiches with mayonnaise for lunch and chips.  We rode lots of water slides and swam in the pool from 11:30-6.  Needless to say despite my putting on sunblock at least 6 times I am a little crispy.  I will have to wear a t-shirt all week.

After the water park they took us to downtown San Miguel.  There were gringos EVERYWHERE!!!!  It is apparently a popular place for Americans to retire.  The church there is beautiful.  We ate elote (corn on the cob).  Ours was actually cut off of the cob and put in a cup with lime, butter, mayonnaise and cheese.  It was not exactly something I would order again, but at least I tried it.  You can also get it with chile (chili powder), but I opted not to.  The corn isn't as sweet as at home and it wasn't cooked thoroughly.  Oh there is nothing like sweet corn with butter, salt and pepper in the summer!!

I took a lot of pictures, but didn't have time to upload them because we didn't get home until 9:30.  So I will try to do that later today.  It's my last week of these two classes and C.J. comes on FRIDAY!!!!!  We will be in Mexico City from Friday to next Tuesday so I may not post much, but we'll see.

Have a great week!  It sounds like this one will be much drier than last! :)

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment